Have Fun! Learn to Play Hockey!
New to Hockey? Here’s How to Start!
Beginner through Elite Hockey Classes for Children Ages 4 to 12
Click here for our 2022-23 Fall Learn to Play Hockey Brochure
Youth Hockey Classes
|Youth Hockey Classes (Ages 4 and up)|
|Beginner/Intermediate||9:20 - 10:20 AM|
|Elite||5:45 - 6:45 PM||9:20 - 10:20 AM|
Learn to Play Hockey Beginner/Intermediate
All skaters must be a graduate of Learn to Skate Basic 3 or Snowplow Sam 3 classes prior to enrollment.
Skaters will work on hockey drills and stick and puck handling techniques, as well as ongoing work on skating skills, which will make new players comfortable on the ice while learning hockey basics. Graduates will advance to Elite Hockey.
This class continues work on advanced stick and puck handling and skating skills, with a scrimmage at the end of each class. Upon graduation, players can join the NYC Skyliners House League, hosted by City Ice Pavilion.
Required Equipment for all Levels:
Hockey helmet with cage, ice hockey skates, elbow pads, shoulder pads, hockey pants, shin pads, hockey gloves, hockey stick.
In Addition, We Recommend:
Jersey, hockey socks, jock shorts, mouth guard, neck guard
You Can Learn to Play Hockey Like a Pro!
The hockey curriculum is designed to teach the fundamentals of hockey in three levels while learning how to be more proficient and agile on the ice.
Here is a breakdown of what we teach at each level:
- Forward strides using 45-degree v-push, focus on good recovery and alternating arm drive
- Forward, backward one-foot push and glide
- Forward C-cuts: single leg right and left, alternating feet in a straight line
- Two-foot snowplow stop
- Forward C-cuts (half-swizzle pumps) on a circle
- Forward inside edges on half-circles
- Backward C-cuts (half-swizzle pumps) on a circle
- Backward snowplow stops, one and two-foot v-stops
- One-foot moving snowplow stop
- Quick starts using forward v-start
- Backward one-foot glide
- Forward crossover glides
- Backward crossover glides
- Forward, backward crossovers on circle
- Hockey stops
- And scrimmages!
When you’ve graduated from Elite Hockey, it’s time for team play! See the skating school for more details about joining the City Ice Pavilion House League!
Learn to Skate USA Membership
- All Hockey class participants must be current members of Learn to Skate USA. All participants must register / renew each year at learntoskateusa.com. Membership runs from 7/1-6/30 in any given year.
- Skaters not permitted on the ice without current Learn to Skate USA membership.
- Annual fee is $16 plus $1.25 processing and handling, regardless of when skater is enrolled, and includes secondary sports accident insurance.
Terms and Conditions
- Class registration is online only. Go to worldice.com to set up an account.
- Tuition must be paid in advance. No payment plans, credits or refunds.
- $15 late fee with registration submitted after stated deadline. Same day walk-in or call-in registration not permitted.
- Missed classes, activities, reservations or sessions of any kind (including due to COVID-19 and/or quarantining) cannot be transferred to another session, rescheduled, credited or refunded for any reason unless cancelled by World Ice Arena. Your registration guarantees you a space in the class regardless of your attendance.
- World Ice Arena reserves the right to change or cancel the day or time of any given class.
- Maximum 10-12 students per class. Levels may be combined if fewer than three skaters are registered for a given class.
- Name tags will be given to, and must be worn by, all registered class participants during each class. A $5 fee will be charged for all lost or forgotten name tags.
- A name tag is not transferrable. Any breach of this term will entitle World Ice Arena to demand surrender and cancellation of the remaining classes, with no refund issued.
- Using your name tag and on the day of your class, skaters may practice on a public session for free during the semester in which they’re enrolled.
Sign up: Online Registration
For questions and more information, contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718-760-9001 ext. 7002